Step 1: Set up Splunk
If you have Splunk in your environment already, that’s fantastic and you skip to the next section about creating a new index and installing the Sideview apps..
Otherwise you have a couple of options.
Install a trial of Splunk
First, go to https://splunk.com and create a new account or log in with an existing account.
- 60-day trial with one Splunk “Server” installed locally
- 60-day trial with multiple Splunk instances, installed locally
- This is almost certainly overkill! But not always. Contact Us if you think this is the road for you.
- 14-day trial of Splunk Cloud
- Go here to start a free 14-day Cloud trial: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/download.html
- Follow the directions and emails to get it going.
- If you want to test for longer than 14 days, it’s difficult but not necessarily impossible. However, we recommend talking to your Splunk rep before starting this trial.
At this point, you now have a Splunk instance you can log into. Next, we’ll create the index and install the Sideview apps.