NOTE this step is obviously only needed if you do not already having a working Splunk installation with sufficient spare capacity available to use!
Although in Splunk terms this data is fairly small, in production you will still want to have it on a nice server, or a very nice VM. Specifically:
- Nice fast disks that can do around 1000 iops. Some ballpark disk counts: for 15k RPM disks that would require 6 or more in R10, for 10k RPM disks that would require 10 or more in R10, or for SSD that would be a mirrored pair.
- 8 or more cores (ie dual quad-core)
- 16GB RAM or more
You can read more at the two following pages.
For a trial, Splunk *can* also run on lesser hardware to some degree, especially if it will be dedicated to *only* this Shoretel trial. Be warned – although it may run fine otherwise, the UI may be quite slow to load and reports will take a long time to complete.
Install the Splunk Server
To download the Splunk Server, click the following link and on the following page pick the version appropriate to your platform.
NOTE: that you do NOT want the “Splunk Light” product but rather Splunk Enterprise. Splunk for Cisco CDR will not run on Splunk Light.
Download and Install the apps
We will actually install 4 apps in total. The Shoretel app comes from the Sideview site, and the remaining three apps – Sideview Utils, DBConnect and Google Maps – come from Splunkbase.
Download the apps
For each of the three apps below, simply download from Splunkbase as you would any normal Splunk app. Save the resulting file to any convenient location for now (like your desktop).
For the Splunk for Shoretel app, download the 90 day trial version
- Visit the app’s homepage
- Follow the link labeled Contact us to request a trial version.
- Fill out your information.
- Select the Product “Splunk for Shoretel”
And email will be sent containing the download information shortly thereafter. Download it and save it to the same location as the other files.
Install the apps
- Log into the Splunk UI as an admin user.
- From the landing page, click the “Manage Apps” gear icon in above the apps list on the left.
- Click the “Install app from file” button.
- Use the form on that page to upload each of the four files that you downloaded earlier.
- NOTE there is no reason to restart each time – instead, upload all four then restart one time at the end of it.