Distributed Splunk Architecture
There are a thousand minor variations on this theme, so pay attention as you go through. But, we assume you generally know what you are doing and just need the broad picture.
- IN CUCM, add a new Billing Server entry pointing to your SFTP server.
- See our Call Manager Configuration documentation, complete those steps and come back here.
- THIS DOES ASSUME you have the SFTP server running already. Obviously. 🙂
- If there are no empty Billing Server slots left, please contact us to discuss how to share a billing server entry with another app. There are details to be aware of.
- ON THE INDEXING TIER create an index “cisco_cdr”
- Use the method appropriate for your environment. Via the Cluster’s Master Node (I’m just trying to use the ‘official’ words Splunk wants us to use, we all know it as “the CM” ), directly, with API, whatever.
- Index name *can be different and can be customized*, but please do NOT mix this data with other unrelated data so give it its own index.
- If you change the name, the last step #6 will become important when you get down to it, so don’t forget it!
- ON THE SH you are going to use, install the three Sideview apps
- SHC folks – do this on the deployer and deploy as usual
- If your SH has access to the internet you can use Manage Apps, or just download from Splunkbase and upload, or download and untar into place – whatever your usual method is:
- Restart the SH after installing the last of the three (no need to do it for each – and if you do it in the order listed, the last one will ask you to restart)
- ON THE SH Install a trial license key in our app (or full key if it’s available)
- Install it in the Cisco CDR Reporting and Analytics app by clicking our Setup > Update License
- If you don’t have the license key –
- For trials – get a trial from our “Get Trial License” page.
- For full licenses – get it from the official contact who should have it in an email
- Or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll figure it out.
- FOR (or on) THE FORWARDER that will accepts SFTP from CUCM and saves files, create the inputs as per our requirements
- WE PROVIDE A TA for this, please use it! It’s linked below when appropriate.
- We assume you generally know what you are doing here, so the first two steps below may be old hat to you. Please be sure to follow exactly the last one, in bold.
- Deploy that, plus the rest of the TA (including the props and transforms and all other files), via whatever method is appropriate to your environment. Deployment server, git, puppet, whatever you use should be fine.
- If in Step 2 you used an index named something other than our default, ‘cisco_cdr’:
- On the Search Head, edit the macro ‘custom_index’ in our app context to point to your index. Make sure permissions are right on it afterwards.
- Important – Configure your clusters. This should only take a few seconds and will ensure external numbers are parsed properly and provide location information.
- Sites – Add IP address ranges to identify sites, see cross-site call volume, and to optionally enable mapping to work for your own infrastructure.
- Groups – Track calls by ‘groups’ of people – ‘groups’ being whatever you’d like to define as a mapping of groups, subgroups, and names to extensions. Use it to report on your sales team, help desk or to build your own mini call center.
If you have any comments at all about the documentation, please send it in to email@example.com.